On May 25, 2011, the NYC Brownfield Partnership held its third annual Big Apple Brownfield Awards at the NYU School of Law. City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn received the 2011 Distinguished Service Award for her work advancing brownfield cleanup in NYC including unanimous passage of the NYC Brownfield Bill in 2009 by the NYC Council and support for the city-state collaborative agreement on liability protection in 2010.
We recognized five of New York City’s most outstanding brownfield redevelopment projects:
- Green Building Award – Atlantic Terrace
- Affordable Housing Award – La Terraza
- Sustainable Remediation Award – New Fulton Fish Market
- Economic Development Award – Harlem River Yards
- Collaboration Award – Pratt Institute
In addition, Venetia Lannon, the new Regional Director of New York State Department of Environmental Conservation NYC Office, delivered the keynote speech, and the Partnership recognized its 2011 Brownfield Interns and Abbey Duncan Brownfield Scholars.